Blini with Smoked Salmon
RECIPE BY INA GARTEN, “BAREFOOT CONTESSA”
PREP TIME: 15 MINS • COOK TIME: 20 MINS • SERVES: 18
• 1⁄3 cup buckwheat flour • 2⁄3 cup all-purpose flour • 1⁄2 tsp baking powder
• 3⁄4 tsp kosher salt
• 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tbsp milk
• 1 extra large egg
• 1⁄4 lb (1 stick) unsalted butter, clarified, divided • 1⁄2 lb smoked salmon, thinly sliced
• 1⁄4 cup crème fraîche or sour cream
• Fresh dill sprig, for garnish
1. Combine buckwheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder and salt in a
bowl. In a separate bowl, whisk together the milk, egg, and one tablespoon of the clarified butter, then whisk into the flour mixture. Heat one tablespoon of the clarified butter in a medium sauté pan and drop the batter into the hot skillet, one tablespoon at a time. Cook over medium-low heat until bubbles form on the top side of the blini, about two minutes. Flip and cook for one more minute, or until brown. Repeat with the remaining batter, cleaning the hot pan with a dry paper towel between batches. Set aside.
2. To serve, top the blini with a piece of smoked salmon. Add a dollop of crème fraîche and a sprig of dill.