Soothe yourself with this DIY essential oil perfume
Spending money on store-bought perfumes can cost an arm and a leg—and their overpowering scents can leave you with an awful headache. The best way to beat this? Make your own perfume from soothing essential oils.
The first step in creating your own perfume is to pick a top, middle, and base note for your scent. Your top note is what you will smell first, and which will fade away first. You will smell the base note last, and it will last the longest. Same goes with respect to the middle note.
Our recipe is targeted to soothe your spirits with the calming scent of lemongrass. Used to prevent anxiety, relieve stress, combat insomnia, and prevent drowsiness, this delicious scent is sure to give you a calming sensation with every spritz.
- 9-12 drops lemongrass essential oil
- 15-20 drops Ylang Ylang essential oil
- 6-8 drops sandalwood essential oil
- 4 tbsp high-proof vodka
- 2 tbsp distilled water
- 2 tbsp apricot kernel oil
- Dark spray bottle for storage
- Clean, dark bottle for mixing
- Coffee filter
- In clean bottle, blend essential oils together.
- Add vodka and apricot kernel oil and shake thoroughly to combine all ingredients.
- Store in a cool, dark place for 48 hours to 6 weeks. The longer you wait, the better it will smell—patience is key!
- Add distilled water and shake to combine.
- Put the coffee filter into the funnel, and transfer the perfume to the storage bottle.
- Shake before use and enjoy!