Could homeopathy help to tackle the H1N1 virus?
A group of researchers out of Bangalore, India, have discovered that a combination of allopathic and homeopathic drugs may help to build immunity against the H1N1 virus, commonly known as “Swine Flu.”
For the past two months, the area’s government hospitals, 2300 primary health centres, and 600 AYUSH (Ayurveda, Yoga-Naturopathy, Unani, Siddha and Homeopathy) dispensaries have been offering free doses of Tamilflu, an allopathic, antiviral medication for influenza, in tandem with homeopathic remedies to treat H1N1. Homeopathic products used for this ailment include:
- Oscillococcinum, which studies have shown to prevent the flu and shorten the duration of flu symptoms.
- Aconitum napellus, which can reverse the symptoms of the flu within the first few hours of onset.
- Gelsemium sempervirens, which was one of the most helpful medicines in the Spanish Flu Epidemic of 1918.
- Bryonia alba, which aids with aching joints, immobility due to pain, frontal headaches, and cough.
- Eupatorium perfoliatum, which calms bone pain in flu patients.
- Arsenicum album, which is the most commonly indicated remedy for the H1N1 virus outbreak.
“Allopathic and homeopathic treatments can be given simultaneously,” says Shalini Rajneesh, Karnataka, India’s Principal Health Secretary. “The free homeopathic doses we are giving out help to build immunity and reduce symptoms.”
While flu season is over, knowing these remedies can help to prepare you for any sudden influenza outbreaks this summer and beyond. After all, prevention is the best medicine.